Saturday 7 February 2009

10 minutes with top Seattle maestro Franz Junga...


1. If you could choose a cooking holiday from Flavours in either Tuscany, Sicily, Puglia or Bologna which one would you choose and why?
Bologna. The city is considered by many to be one of the culinary centers of not only Italy, but all of Europe. The rich heritage of cheese making and meat curing are cornerstones of Italian cuisine. This is complimented by the enlightened cultural history of Europe's oldest university. It is a city not to be missed.

2. Who would be your ideal cooking companion on a cooking holiday in Italy?
First I would have to choose my wife, Robbie to experience the roots of the culinary culture that has become the center of my career. I would next choose Maurizio Mazzon (Il Fornaio’s Executive Chef), who has taught me so much about Italian food and culture, and who is an excellent guide through Italy.

3. What is your essential Italian cooking ingredient?
Flour. Bread, pasta, and gnocchi are essential to Italian cuisine - and three things I could not live without. They remain the canvasses on which all other flavors are layered.
4. I couldn't cook without my...?
Tool box. I have grown accustomed to my wide arrange of tools from and chissel and cleaver to a reamer, zester, and larding needle.


5. What do you do when you're not in the kitchen?
I love the outdoors - mountain biking, hiking, and disc golf with my family and friends. Music is another passion, either playing guitar or appreciating a great live show.

6. What's the best thing about Italy?
The warm, welcoming people, and the rich diversity of each region.

7. Have you had any cooking disasters?
When learning to cook with my parents, I set off the smoke alarms at home making veal saltimbocca.
8. Please tell us what is your favourite Italian Recipe?
Osso Buco alla Milanese. This is a braised veal shank - a very tough piece of meat centered by a hollow bone. It is pan fried then slow cooked with a mirepoix of vegetables, fresh herbs, a touch of tomato, and a savory broth for a couple of hours. This cooking process turns this unappealing cut of meat into a rich, delicate morsel that is to die for. The marrow inside the bone is a protein filled delicacy that is traditionally mixed with the dish's accompaniment, saffron risotto.
9. What's your top tip for the perfect Italian meal?
Keep it simple! Italian cuisine is all about local ingredients at the peak of their freshness which are simply prepared with traditional techniques to bring out their natural qualities
10. How can we find out more about your cooking?
www.ilfornaio.com

No comments: