Friday 20 January 2012

My Perfect Indulgent Tuscan Holiday

At the start of a New Year are you thinking about getting fit and healthy but also where your next holiday might be? Is it really possible to go away, indulge in good food and drink, learn something but also come home more toned and without putting on a pound?

If you think that’s an impossible ask, read on!


I love food. I really love food however I also like to eat in a healthy way and keep fit, so holidays sitting by a pool for days on end don’t really do it for me.

Finding a holiday that fits the bill is always a challenge, especially when you’re looking for a trip that suits single travellers. So when an advertisement for a Flavours pilates holiday appeared on my Facebook page, it looked like it could be just what I was looking for.

Six weeks later I was on a plane to Pisa wondering just what I had let myself in for! I can confidently say now it was one of the best holidays I have ever had and just about ticked every box for the perfect trip.

The surroundings were beautiful, the villa stunning. The hosts more than attentive and very importantly for me a magical pool that used at all times of the day and night to meet my exercise requirements. Even my desire for a room that faced the sunrise was accommodated!

Then there was the food. Our chefs Marco and Claudio sourced as much as they could locally, herbs grew in the garden and ricotta arrived from the farm we could see on the hillside. The ingredients were about as fresh as you can get, and when you get to learn how to cook it with a lot of laughs and fun, well it’s all just even more heavenly!

My philosophy on food is that you can have it all, you just need to control how much of everything you eat, if you learn about food, you gain a respect for it. Sensible eating then becomes easier and smaller portion sizes don’t matter as much. For me I wanted to experience everything so portion control becomes important however this wasn’t difficult in any way on this trip.
Of course the perfect way to also be able to enjoy good food and wine is to have an active holiday so two sessions of pilates a day certainly helps. Our teacher Candice tailored the classes to all abilities, it really doesn’t matter if you’re an expert or a complete novice; what it does do though is ensure you’re burning calories, making enjoying the food and drink so much easier.


When we weren’t in the kitchen or doing pilates, there were also visits to some of the local towns and time to relax in the sun if you wanted it. Our trip had a mix of couples and singles, men and women; we all got on like a house on fire and it was hard to say goodbye at the end of the week.

So I totally enjoyed the food and the drink, learnt to cook a wealth of new recipes, made newfriends and came home more toned without putting on a pound. My perfect holiday!
It was so good I went back in September, I’ll tell you about that trip another time!
If you want to read more about how I lost a lot weight and got fit in the first place and more importantly now it stays off, take a look at my blog Lose Weight & Keep It Off!
Want to have a healthy holiday like Trudy's? Take a look at our Pilates holidays offered in Tuscany and Sicily!

No comments: