Friday 18 October 2013

The Amalfi Coast of Italy



The Amalfi coast is Flavours new cooking holiday destination and we're sure it's going to be one of your favourite. The American writer Margie Miklas who just returned from Amalfi is giving us some travel inspiration. Let's read what she has to say:


I love the Amalfi Coast of Italy and would want to return there every chance I can. Even though I enjoy so many other areas of the beautiful country of my grandparents, I have to say the Amalfi Coast is a favorite place for me. The sheer beauty of the rugged, winding coastline and towns built high into the hills is reason enough to visit here.




 On my very first visit there, I stayed in Sorrento, which is sort of the gateway to the Amalfi Coast, and a wonderful city itself. From Sorrento, I rode the SITA bus along the cliff road which winds back and forth above and through the towns of the Amalfi Coast. This ride is not for the faint of heart, as the road is narrow and the drop-offs are steep, but the views are priceless. The skilled drivers know how to navigate the turns like pros and the ride is worth every penny of the €7.60 price from Sorrento all the way to Salerno. 


Amalfi is the main town, the town where the buses meet, and where I had to change buses to continue the ride to Salerno. Also from Amalfi, at the water's edge, is the ferry dock, and from here, you can take ferries to Capri, Positano, Ischia, Maiori, Cetara, Salerno, and other towns on the Amalfi coast.

Positano is probably the most well-known town on the Amalfi Coast, as many celebrities visit here, and because it has been featured in several Hollywood films, the most famous being Under the Tuscan Sun. Usually crowded with tourists, Positano is a beautiful place and worth the visit, although I would not suggest going in the summer months.



I prefer the smaller towns of Maiori and Minori, where I have access to Positano, but do not have to fight the large crowds. Maiori actually has the longest beach on the Amalfi coast, and also a promenade right next to it, where la passeggiata occurs every day. I stayed here right along the beach for five days a few years ago while I was traveling solo in Italy for three months, and found Maiori to be very relaxing. The people were extremely friendly, the restaurants amazing, and the shopping reasonable.


I could go on and on about the magnificent Amalfi Coast. Perhaps my photos speak louder than my words. I hope you have an opportunity soon to enjoy this favorite part of Italy as I have. 
Margie Miklas is an American writer with a passion for travel and I particular, Italy. She is the author  of Memoirs of a Solo Traveler – My Love Affair with Italy  .        
                                                                             


2 comments:

House of Flavours said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
italian tours including airfare said...

Your pictures are so stunning! I just pinned it so that I can plan my next Italian adventure!